Connecting a Cable Modem to BendBroadband
This article provides information on how to connect a cable modem with an Ethernet connection.
Items needed for an Ethernet installation
- Cable Modem
- Ethernet Cable
- Coaxial Cable
- Modem Power Cable
Common Technical Questions
- Verify that the cable modem and computer are disconnected from the power source.
- Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the cable wall outlet.
- Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the cable modem.
- Plug the cable modem power adapter into a wall outlet.
Most cable modems are "on" all the time and do not have a switch. If the modem has a power switch, turn on the modem and wait for the modem to synch with the cable network. This may take up to five minutes.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the back of the modem.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the back of the computer.
- Connect the power to the computer and turn the computer on.
- Check the modem lights for proper status. Most modem lights operate similarly. Some blink at start-up, then become steady, except for the “activity” light, which may blink continuously. If modem lights do not come on, turn off the computer, unplug the modem, wait 30 seconds, plug the modem back in, then restart the computer.
Result: The modem is now connected and ready.