Help and Support / Data
ALPHA: Manage your Wireless Network
This article provides instructions on how to setup your Alpha Wireless Network, recommended settings, and how to connect other devices to your wireless network.
In order to manage and setup your Alpha Wireless Network you will need to login into the Alpha Web Interface. During your installation, a professional BendBroadband installer has setup a password for your Web Interface specific to your Alpha device.
Logging into the web interface
Open up a web browser (Internet Explorer, for example) and enter the IP address http://192.168.0.1 in your browser’s address bar and press Enter.
- The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password.
- The default username is "admin"
- The installation technician provided you with the password. If you do not know it, please reset the Media Gateway using the reset button loacated on the back. You will need to hold the button down for at least 10 seconds, and then release.
Setting your Wireless Settings
On the first initial page, you will see all of your Wireless settings. Click Here to view a screenshot of this page.
If you are uncertain what settings you should be using to make your wireless network, see Recommended Wireless Settings below.
NOTE: It is NOT recommended to "disable" the Alpha Wireless security. It will allow others to gain access to your network and could cause a potential security risk to personal folders, files, documents and allow others to contribute to your bandwidth usage.
These are settings that are recommended if you are uncertain what settings you should select.
- Enable Wireless: Checked
- Enable Radio: Checked
- Wireless Network Name (SSID): 'Choose a name that you can identify'
- Broadcast Network Name (SSID): Checked
- Tx Power Level: High
- Channel: Auto
- Language: English
- Security Mode: WPA/WPA2-PSK**
- Encryption Algorithm: TKIPAES
- Pre-Shared Key: 'Choose a password that you can remember'
- WPS Enable: Checked
- Encryption Mode: PBC
** Note: Some devices may not be compatable with this recommended setting and may require a lower quality setting such as WPA-PSK or WEP.
Connecting other devices via Wireless
You can manually enter in the security Passphrase or Network Key. To do this, it will depend on your operating system.
- In Microsoft Windows XP, to link the Alpha with your PC via Wi-Fi, go to Start > Connect to > click on Wireless Network Connection > choose "ARRIS-XXXX" and click Connect.
- In Microsoft Windows Vista, to link the Alpha with your PC via Wi-Fi, go to Start > Connect to > choose "ARRIS-XXXX" and click Connect.
- In Microsoft Windows 7, to link the Alpha with your PC via Wi-Fi, click on next to the clock on the start bar > choose "ARRIS-XXXX" and click Connect.
- If using a MAC, click on the wireless icon in the menu bar next to the time clock, then select and choose "ARRIS-XXXX" from the dropdown list.
For all devices, you will be prompted to enter a "Passphrase" or "Security Key". This is always the "Pre-Shared Key" that is listed in the Alpha Web UI.